You are here

Motor Vehicle

Please be aware that as of October 20, 2022 the Motor Vehicle Department will not process titles after 4:30 p.m.  All other transactions will be accepted until 5:00 p.m.

Looking to join the line or make an appointment in Motor Vehicle? Click here to see wait times, available appointments, and/or check in online before you get here!

Motor Vehicle Online Services

Online services are available at the following website:

Below is a list of the services available on the myDMV site:

Vehicle services:

  • Request a duplicate registration card
  • Request a duplicate title
  • Apply for an emissions waiver
  • Estimate registration fees
  • Become a third party IRP agent
  • Create an IRP account
  • Manage my placards
  • Submit a first-time vehicle registration
  • Apply for an out-of-state emissions extension
  • Apply for a first-time placard
  • Get a transaction receipt
  • Renew a vehicle registration
  • Replace tabs
  • Check a title status
  • Add/change a vehicle address
  • Report release of liability
  • Replace license plates
  • Manage installment plan
  • IRP account logon
  • Request vehicle record/title history search

Driver Services:

  • Add/Change driver's license address
  • Apply for a driver's license
  • View/submit DOT medical certificate
  • Downgrade a driver's license
  • Request a driving record
  • Update emergency contacts
  • Request an expiration date extension
  • Renew a driver's license
  • Pay and submit citations
  • View/upload reinstatement documents
  • Pay a reinstatement fee
  • Add/change renewal reminders
  • Check eligibility to renew by mail
  • Reschedule a hearing
  • Submit a subpoena request
  • Where's my driver's license
  • Request a hearing
  • Schedule an appointment
  • Upgrade from a permit to a license

Drop Box

The Motor Vehicle Department now has an outside drop box available for vehicle renewals. We still have our box inside the building near the entrance to Motor Vehicle, but there is also one located outside just before the doors on the west side of the building. Please note that this entrance is no longer open to the public. All customers must enter the building through the south side doors.

It is for Motor Vehicle renewals only and the same rules and fees apply if you are already expired or need to show proof of insurance.

It will be locked and not available for use when the last day of the month falls on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We HAVE to process all renewals on our computer system BEFORE the new month starts. We cannot back date renewals.

Remember the grace period still applies. You have the month before, the month you expire in, and until the last business day of the next month to renew your tags.

You can access to renew online up until midnight on the last day of the month regardless of the weekend. Please remember processing fees will apply.

Renewals Online

If you don't want to wait in line, use our drop boxes, use the kiosk located in City Market, or mail in your renewal, you can renew your plates online.

To access this online application, please visit

Forms of payment that will be accepted are:

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Discover
  • American Express
  • Electronic check from your checking account

If you need to show proof of insurance, need to complete a Non-Use Affidavit, etc., you will need to come into our office to complete your transaction.

Types of plates you will not be able to renew online are as follows:

  • 10th Mountain Division Plates
  • Adams State University Plates
  • Apportioned Plates
  • Autocycle Plates
  • Collector Tab
  • Dealer Demo/Full Use/In-transit Plates (including Motorcycle Demo/Full Use and SMM Demo)
  • Depot Plates
  • Fleet Plates
  • Honorary Consul Plates
  • Manufacturer Plates
  • Neighborhood Electric Plates
  • Public Utility Commission Plates
  • Transporter Plates
  • University of Southern Colorado Plates
  • Year of Manufacture Plates

Persons with Disabilities

Depending on how the DR2219 Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges Application is completed by your doctor will determine when you are required to have a new form filled out before renewing your placard(s) and/or plates.

If you are issued a permanent placard (a condition that is not expected to change within a person’s lifetime), you will have to have a DR2219 completed your initial year of application and then every ninth year after that.

If you are issued an extended placard (a condition that is not expected to change within 30 months after the issuance of plates or placard), you will have to have a DR2219 completed your initial year of application and every three years after that.

If you are issued a temporary placard (a condition that is expected to last less than 30 months after the issuance of plates or placard), you will have to have a DR2219 completed your initial year of application and every three years after that.

If you are issued a short-term placard (a condition that is not expected to last more than 90 days after the issuance of a placard), you will have to have a DR2219 completed your initial year of application and every 90 days after that unless your status changes to permanent, extended or temporary.

If you are issued a Remuneration exempt placard (a condition that is not expected to change within a person’s lifetime), you will have to have a DR2219 completed your initial year of application and then every ninth year after that.

Additional Issuance Requirements for Persons with Disabilities Placards

• The last four digits of the placard holder’s identification number is required to be printed on the face of the placard, in the area marked “ID#” with permanent black marker.
• If the parent or guardian of a person with a disability under sixteen years of age provided their driver’s license or identification card for the issuance of the placard, the last four digits of the parent’s or guardian’s identification number must be printed on the face of the placard with the letter “C” as a designator (example: C1234).
• If the placard is issued to an entity that transports people with disabilities for hire, the name of the entity providing such services shall be printed on the placard, in the area marked “ID#” (example: Sunrise Retirement Community).
• The expire month and year must be hole punched from the placard to indicate the expiration date.
• The placard must also have a four-digit year validation sticker affixed to it over the wording “Void without Validation Sticker”, indicating the expiration date of the placard.
• The person listed on the DR2219 requesting the placard or plate must have a Colorado driver’s license or Colorado ID card, with the exception of someone under the age of 16, or someone being issued a short-term placard (90 days).
• If someone is requesting a placard and cannot make it into our office, they will need to provide their agent with a power of attorney to receive the placard the same day. Otherwise, as long as the paperwork is completely filled out and correct, we can process the request and mail the placard to the applicant.

Manufactured Homes

Due to the varying circumstances of each manufactured home transaction, please come into our office for more information. Upon answering specific questions regarding your situation we can give you the most current and up to date information and forms/flow charts you will need.

Please remember our office does not title or handle any modular home transactions.

Some basic information regarding manufactured homes:

A DR2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number is not required on out of state titles or MSO’s for manufactured homes.

Most manufactured home transactions are required to be recorded. The recording fees for manufactured homes are as follows:

$13.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page. The clerk will determine what needs to be recorded.

Sales taxes for manufactured homes are figured a little differently. They are always taxed on 52% of the purchase price of the home. For example if you paid $60,000.00 for the home, we would only charge tax on $31,200.00. Also sales tax is not always due for manufactured homes. There are no taxes due on a used (titled) manufactured home.  On a new (MSO) manufactured home, the only taxes due are Fremont County tax of 2.5%, and if the manufactured home is located in the city limits of Florence, then Florence city tax of 2.5% would be due.

In most cases, you will need to obtain a Tax Authentication form from the Treasurer’s Office, verifying all taxes are current in order to transfer ownership of a manufactured home.  The only exception is if the manufactured home is new (MSO) and was purchased within the last 6 months.

Moving To Colorado

All motor vehicles and trailers owned or operated by a Colorado resident must be registered.

Colorado law provides that vehicles owned by Colorado residents must be titled and registered in the county of the owners’ principal or primary home address as determined by voter registration. In the case of a vehicle owned by a business, the address from which such vehicle is principally operated and maintained would be used. If neither of the above situations apply, the vehicle should be titled and registered in the county where it is permanently operated and maintained.

Motor Vehicle Registration must be completed within 90 calendar days after becoming a resident of Colorado. All applications for vehicle registration must be made at the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county of residence.

Requirements to title and/or register in Colorado (all four bullet points are required):

  • DR2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number (done at any Colorado Law Enforcement, Emission Station Agency, or Colorado Dealer.) If you're the original owner and can provide proof, (MCO, MSO, Purchase receipt from a dealer, or your title has MSO printed in the previous title field) NO VIN inspection required.
  • Original or copy of out-of-state title
    Original or copy of out-of-state registration.  It must be current or not over six months expired from the date of application.
  • Colorado proof of insurance (see Proof of Insurance Requirements)
  • Acceptable Identification (see Secure and Verifiable Identification)

Vehicle Registration

The Fremont County Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for vehicle registration, titling and issuing license plates. We also process SMM and manufactured home transactions. We do not handle or have any information regarding driver’s licenses. To reach their office, please call 303-205-5613. There is no longer a local phone number.

Our forms of payment include, cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover cards. We also take personal checks as long as your address on the check is in Fremont County. It can be an out of county address if the check is from a business.

A form of identification is required for most transactions. Please make sure you have some form of accepted ID when coming into our office. (see Secure and Verifiable Identification)

Fees are based on several factors such as: type of plates requested, date of purchase, weight of the vehicle, year of the vehicle, manufacturer’s suggested retail price or taxable value, purchase price, etc. Please do not call for a price quote as too many factors decide the amount. We have to have all documents in our office and entered into our system to give you an idea of your price. (see Fee Estimator)

Weight tickets may be required if the weight is questionable, or no other acceptable documentation provided lists the weight.  This also applies to newly constructed, reconstructed, and modified vehicles.

If you purchased a vehicle from a dealership and financed it, in most cases they will send the paperwork directly to us.  We will process it and mail you a card that says “Colorado Vehicle Title Complete Notice”.  This lets you know that you can come in with identification and proof of insurance to purchase your plates.  Please note, it can take the dealer anywhere from 30-45 days to get us this paperwork.  If your temporary permit is getting ready to expire and you haven’t got the notice from our office, please call to see if we have received your paperwork.

Please note:  As of January 3, 2023, a $29 Keep Colorado Wild Pass will be added to most vehicle registrations.  This new annual pass gives you access to Colorado state parks.  You can opt out of the pass when you register your vehicle.  For more information, please visit

Purchasing a Vehicle from a Private Party

Colorado is a title issuing state; therefore, a title is required to transfer ownership on all motor vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers. When a vehicle is purchased from a private party who has a Colorado title, the following is required from the seller:

  • The title needs to be properly signed by all selling parties including their hand printed name exactly how it appears on the front of the title. Newer Colorado titles do not require notarization, however if it is an older title that has space for a notary to sign, it either needs to have the sellers signature notarized or they will need to sign a DR2445 Statement of Transfer in addition to signing the title. A DR2445 can only be used in conjunction with a Colorado title. It will not be accepted to omit notarization on out of state titles.
  • A bill of sale should always be obtained for your records, but our office may require one if the purchase price or date is in question.
  • If the vehicle's model year is 2011 or newer, an odometer statement must be completed on the title or on a DR2173 Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale.
  • Collection of sales tax is a prerequisite to titling and is based on the purchase price of the vehicle. A bill of sale may be required, depending on your situation, and must either be notarized or include a perjury clause.
  • A DR2698, Vehicle Identification Verification form will be required for any out of state title documents surrendered. It must be completed by a Colorado licensed dealer, emission station agency, or any law enforcement agency in Colorado.

Purchasing a New or Used Vehicle from a Dealer

If you are purchasing a new or used vehicle from a Colorado dealer, the dealer will provide the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin or Title with any supporting documents needed along with a DR2395 Application for Title, a DR0024 Sales Tax Receipt, a DR2407 Dealer’s Bill of Sale and if the title is from out of state they should include a DR2698 Vehicle Identification Verification.

In most cases if the vehicle is financed they will provide these documents to our office and upon completing them we will mail you notification called a Colorado Vehicle Title Complete Notice letting you know you can purchase your plates. This can take anywhere from 30-45 days after your purchase. You should bring this notice along with your identification and proof of insurance. If you pay cash for the vehicle they may send the documents directly to you, in which case you would bring them in with your identification and proof of insurance. If they send them directly to you, you will not receive anything from our office.

You are required to title and/or register the vehicle in the county you currently live in. You have 60 days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle before late fees start accruing.

Registration fees start from the day you purchase the vehicle. If you do not register your vehicle the same month that you purchase it in you will have prior ownership tax due, going back to the day you purchased the vehicle.

Purchasing a Vehicle From Out of State With an Out of State Title or MSO

If you have purchased a vehicle that has an out of state title or MSO from an out of state dealer, the following is required:

  1. The title or Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) properly signed by both the seller and the buyer containing the odometer reading and notarization (if applicable).
  2. A bill of sale, purchase order, buyers order or sales tax receipt showing the purchase price of the vehicle, if there was any trade in and if any sales tax was collected. It should list the dealer’s name, the customer’s name and a description of both the new vehicle purchased and the trade in if any, including VIN’s. Please note: an out of state dealer cannot collect local county or city taxes.  If they collect Colorado State sales tax, they must submit a DR0024, or Statement of Fact (DR2444).  If they collect local taxes for their state and remitted those taxes to that state, to receive credit we will need their state’s remittance form, or a Statement of Fact (DR2444).
  3. A DR2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number filled out by Colorado law enforcement, Colorado dealer or emission station agency.
  4. Colorado Proof of Insurance.
  5. Identification for at least one of the buyers. (see Secure and Verifiable Identification)
  6. A certified weight slip may be required if the empty weight of the vehicle is questionable or does not appear on your out of state document, in our database or in a Kelley Blue Book.
  7. If the vehicle is a 2011 or newer, in most cases it will be required to include an odometer reading. It must either be on the title itself or on an approved secure document including all sellers’ hand printed names and signatures and at least one buyer’s hand printed name and signature.
  8. If the vehicle has a lien that needs to be recorded, we will also need a DR2395 Application for Title completely filled out including the lien holder’s information. An original or copy of the loan agreement is also required and should be signed by all buyers.
  9. If you would like your Colorado title to be in “Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship” and all buyers will not be present when registering the vehicle, page 2 of DR2395 the Joint Tenancy Acknowledgement form should also be completed by all buyers.

If you purchase a vehicle from an individual, with an out of state title, the following is required:

  1. The title properly signed over and notarized if required.
  2. A bill of sale may be required if the purchase price or date of purchase are in question.
  3. If any sales tax was paid to another state, proof of that will be required to receive any credit for any taxes that may be due to Colorado.
  4. A DR2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number completed by an approved agency.
  5. Odometer reading on a secure form if it is not able to be put on the title itself, if applicable.
  6. Colorado Proof of insurance.
  7. Identification for at least one of the buyers. (see Secure and Verifiable Identification above)
  8. Weight slip, if requested by our office (see number 6 above).
  9. If a lien is to be filed the same will be required as number 8 above. Also see number 9 for Joint Tenancy requirements.

If the vehicle is located out of state and you are declaring part-time residency, the following exceptions may apply:

  1. The Colorado VIN Inspection Form (DR2698) can be completed by an out of state law enforcement agency or military police.
  2. A part-time resident form must be completed declaring that you are either a part-time resident, in the military or a student in another state (see Printable Forms). Originals must be submitted with title application.

Circumstances can vary in the purchase of a vehicle from out of state therefore; it is advisable to call if you have additional questions concerning the titling and registration of your vehicle. We cannot give prices quotes over the phone.

Off Highway Vehicles

As of July 1, 2014 Colorado now titles Off Highway Vehicles and Snowmobiles. This allows customers to obtain a title if they desire and requires a title to be issued prior to selling an OHV to a dealership. Dealerships must provide an MSO or title to a buyer as proof of ownership as of this date. Titling is completed at the County office in which the owner resides. Proof of ownership includes: an MSO, Certificate of Title, or a copy of a current Colorado Park & Wildlife OHV Registration (60-day (pink) temporary is not acceptable).

Registration of an Off Highway Vehicle is completed through Colorado Parks and Wildlife, for more information please visit

Financed Vehicles

If a vehicle is being financed by a dealer, bank, financial institution or individual, the title needs to be accompanied by a DR2395 Application for Title. It needs to be completed by either the buyer or lien holder; we will not fill those forms out.

We must also have either an original or copy of the loan document. It must include the loan date, the buyer’s name and address, the lender’s name and address, the loan amount, the description of the vehicle including year, make and VIN and all buyers listed must sign. This information should match what is on the DR2395 Application for Title. In most cases, the dealer, bank, or financial institution will send us all necessary documents directly.  In the event they are sent or given to you, please bring in all paperwork for us to process.

If you are filing a lien for an individual and need a blank loan agreement we have generic ones that can be purchased from our office for .25 cents, or you can write up your own as long as it contains the information we need listed above.

As of March 4, 2013, the fees to file a lien are as follows:

Title fee: $7.20
Filing fees: $5.00 per page per side for any loan document that is legal size or under or $10.00 per page per side for any loan document that is over legal size.

Sales tax due based upon the purchase price and address of the buyer.

If plates are requested at the time of titling, additional registration fees will be due.

In Colorado the lien holder holds the title until the loan has been satisfied, so all titles with liens listed will be delivered to and held by the lien holder.

Proof of Insurance Requirements

Accepted forms of proof of insurance (fax or electronic also accepted):

  • A letter from your insurance agent or insurer on company letterhead verifying insurance coverage.
  • The declaration page from the insurance policy.
  • An insurance binder or policy.
  • An insurance card for your vehicle.

Any of the above mentioned forms of proof of insurance must include:

  • The effective dates of coverage.
  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • The make & year of the vehicle.
  • The date of expiration.

Remember we must see valid proof of insurance for the vehicle you are trying to register. You cannot show proof of insurance on something else you own no matter how many days your insurance company covers you. That is only an insurance policy; Colorado State Law requires specific proof of insurance at the time of registration.

If you want to take insurance off of a vehicle you are not currently driving but want to keep the registration current, you must fill out a DR2303 Non-Use of a Vehicle affidavit. This allows you to register something without current insurance. This form is not intended to exempt you from paying registration fees. It only allows the insurance to be removed. Registration is always due on every vehicle regardless of whether it is operable or being used.

Valid Colorado Proof of insurance is required, or insurance from another state that meets or exceeds Colorado requirements. Acceptable states include:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming.

If you don't have valid insurance from Colorado or from any of the acceptable states listed above, you will not be able to register in Colorado.

Temporary Permits

A Temporary Permit is a paper license plate that may be issued for 1 to 60 days. A Colorado auto dealer issues this permit when purchase of a new or used vehicle is made through the dealership. When the purchase of a vehicle is made from a private party, a permit may be issued depending on the situation and the status of the title. A Bill of Sale (notarized or perjury statement) is required. A permit may also be issued if the new purchaser is moving a vehicle to the county in which s/he resides. The title must be presented with proper sign off and assignment to new owner, with the out of county address.

A second permit may be issued when a problem is discovered in the paperwork necessary for transfer of title to the new owner. If the paperwork is being handled by a dealer or lending institution, a phone call from them may be required to understand the circumstances of their situation and for consideration for the length of the permit. A second permit is issued at our discretion and may only be issued for the length of time for title work to be filed. Dealers are also allowed to issue a second temporary permit if they do not have your title ready for submission by the time your first temporary expires. You may contact your dealer directly for more information on this.

A temporary permit may not be issued to any motor vehicle (except trailers) without proof of insurance coverage, or to any vehicle that is not located in our county.

Licensing a Vehicle

As of February 28, 2023, only personalized, special, group, and special alumni plates are allowed to be transferred from one vehicle to another.  Most all other plates cannot be transferred, and a new set of plates will be required upon registration.  You can still transfer any credit left on previously owned plates, but the plates themselves cannot be reused unless you choose to apply for personalized plates with that configuration and pay all additional fees. 

The State of Colorado maintains a database of insured vehicles, based upon information submitted by insurance agents. By law, the Clerk and Recorder's office is required to verify insurance coverage for any passenger car, truck, motor home, bus or motorcycle at the time of registration before we can issue license plates to you. If your agent has not submitted your vehicle coverage information to the state database or has submitted incorrect information, your record of insurance will not be on the database and you will need to show us proof of insurance for that specific vehicle at the time of licensing.

We will accept fax copies from the insurance company.  We will also accept electronic versions (on your phone, or through email).

Valid identification for at least one owner will be required to purchase plates.

Late fees for licensing motor vehicles start to accrue after 60 days from the date of purchase or 90 days from the date of residency.  For vehicles, it is $25.00 for each month or portion of a month, not to exceed $100.00.

Use this link to use our fee estimator:

Fees for Licensing, Titling, Filing a Lien and Sales Tax

When licensing a vehicle, fees are based on the following factors:

  • Weight of vehicle
  • Year of vehicle
  • Date of purchase
  • MSRP or taxable value
  • Type of transaction
  • Type of plate
  • Material fee

Click here for our fee estimator tool.

Titling a vehicle:

  • Regular title fee: $7.20
  • Refinance title fee: $7.20 + Lien file fee
  • Lease buy-out title fee: $7.20 + applicable sales taxes
  • Remove lien only, title fee: $7.20
  • Mobile home title fee: $7.20 + Recording fees
  • Mobile home refinance title fee: $7.20 + Recording fees + Lien file fee
  • Duplicate title fee: $8.20

Filing a Lien: Security agreements must be originals, copies, or carbon copies. The filing fees are as follows:

  • $5.00 per page per side, on any document up to legal size and $5.00 per page per side on additional documents to be filed with security agreement, such as power of attorney, one/same affidavit or list of collateral.
  • $10.00 per page per side, on any document over legal size and $10.00 per page per side on any additional documents, such as power of attorney, one/same affidavit or list of collateral if they are also over legal size. Otherwise, they would be $5.00 per page per side.

Sales tax is based on the purchase price of a vehicle and the owner's residential address that is used on the title assignment or title work done by the dealership.

Allowance is given on any vehicle that is traded for another one. For example if you are purchasing a vehicle for $5,000.00 and your trade in value was $3,000.00 you will only pay sales tax on the difference of $2,000.00. It must be a vehicle that was traded to get the allowance. You cannot trade for other goods or services and receive the allowance. For example if you cut someone’s hair or give them a lawnmower for a vehicle, sales tax would be due on the value of the service or item traded for. Manufacturer rebates are taxable and do not get subtracted from the original purchase price for taxing purposes.

If you purchase a vehicle from a Colorado dealer they should provide you with a DR0024 Standard Sales Tax Receipt for any taxes they collected. You always need proof of any sales taxes paid whether it is to another county, state or dealer.

Leased vehicles are required to have a DR0026 Lease Tax Receipt, with appropriate account numbers listed, for any taxes collected in the lease payment.

ALL sales tax is due at the time of titling ANY vehicle, no exceptions.

  • State tax is 2.9%
  • City tax:
    • City of Cañon City 3%
    • City of Florence 2.5%
  • County sales tax/use tax is 2.5%

Most manufactured home transactions are required to be recorded also. The recording fees for manufactured homes are as follows:

$13.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page. The clerk will determine what needs to be recorded.

Sales taxes for manufactured homes are figured a little differently. They are always taxed on 52% of the purchase price of the home. For example if you paid $60,000.00 for the home, we would only charge tax on $31,200.00. Also sales tax is not always due for manufactured homes. There are no taxes due on a used (titled) manufactured home.  On a new (MSO) manufactured home, the only taxes due are Fremont County tax of 2.5%, and if the manufactured home is located in the city limits of Florence, then Florence city tax of 2.5% would be due.

Secure and Verifiable Identification

Effective July 1, 2006, Secure and Verifiable Identification is required for most motor vehicle transactions including the following:

  • New Titles
  • Duplicate Titles
  • New Registrations
  • New Temporary Registrations
  • New Placards

The following types of identification are secure and verifiable:

  • Any Colorado Driver's License, Colorado Driver's Permit or Colorado Identification Card expired one year or less. (Temporary paper license with invalid Colorado Driver's License, Colorado Driver's Permit or Colorado Identification Card, expired one year or less, is acceptable.)
  • Out of state issued photo driver's license, photo identification card or photo driver's permit expired one year or less.
  • U.S. Passport expired less than ten years.
  • Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed for I551 stamps.
  • Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident Card. No border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards.
  • Valid I688 Temporary Resident, I688B and I766 Employment Authorization Card with intact photo.
  • Valid U.S. Military I.D. (active duty, dependent, retired, Reserve and National Guard).
  • Tribal Identification Card with intact photo (U.S. or Canadian).
  • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship with intact photo.
  • Valid I-94 issued by the Canadian government with L1 or R1 status and a valid Canadian Driver’s License or valid Canadian Identification Card.
  • Valid Canadian (only) passport without the I-94 issued
    I-94- Bearer’s Personal Information & Terms of Admission hand printed on the form.

    CBP I-94A- Bearer’s Personal Information & Terms of Admission computer generated printed, not written by hand, on the form. CBP I-94W- Visa Waiver allowing person to enter U.S. with valid passport (May have Bearer’s Personal Information & Terms of Admission hand printed or computer generated).

Printable Forms

If you need additional forms not found here, please visit our office, or you can try to find it at

Additional Links

For additional forms not listed here, visit the Colorado Department of Revenue

Special Mobile Machinery

Basic Information on Special Mobile Machinery (SMM):

Special Mobile Machinery (SMM) vehicles are of a design commonly used in the construction business. These vehicles, self propelled or otherwise, are not designed to transport persons or cargo over the public highways.

Motor vehicles which have been redesigned or modified with the attachment of SMM (over 500 pounds), and this attachment becomes an essential part of the operation for which the vehicle was intended, will be classified as Special Mobile Machinery.

SMM Equipment that is titled:

Titling is mandatory for SMM which is constructed on a truck or trailer chassis and is designed and intended to be used over the highway. The addition of the SMM, either through manufacture or modification, will cause the final vehicle to be classified as SMM. The body style of the SMM should be that of the chassis on which it is mounted, truck (TK) or trailer (TL). This category includes complete vehicles which have been redesigned or modified by addition of equipment.

SMM that has wheels mounted directly to the machinery (tar buckets, wood splitters, compressors, etc.) shall be titled as trailers and registered as SMM. 

Non-Titled SMM:

Vehicles that run on their own power such as: road graders, back hoes, forklifts, scrapers and front end loaders, etc. are not titled because they are not built on a chassis that is designed and intended to be used over the highway. These are only registered.

Power Takeoff Equipment:

Power takeoff equipment will no longer be registered as Tax Class F (SMM). PTO equipment is defined as equipment that is attached to a motor vehicle and is powered by the motor that powers the locomotion of the motor vehicle.

The weight and value of all mounted PTO equipment shall be combined with the vehicle weight and value when titling a vehicle. Changes to the existing Certificate of Title may be required. In those cases where the weight and value of the PTO equipment are being added or removed, the Certificate of Title should be surrendered for correction.

In all cases, the model year of the vehicle, not the PTO equipment, shall be used to determine the model year for taxable value.